Your child has just had a sealant applied to one or more of his/her teeth. In order to help insure the life of the sealants, we ask that you have your child follow the instructions below:
- Do not chew ice cubes. Finely chopped ice is fine, but the cubes can cause the sealant to chip or come off the tooth/teeth.
- Do not eat hard, sticky or chewy candy such as Jolly Ranchers, Caramel, Star Burst, Fruit Roll Ups, etc. Sugarless gum can be chewed.
- Good Oral Hygiene is also important for your teeth. The sealant will protect the chewing surface of the tooth from decay, but you must have good brushing and flossing habits to protect the sides and in between the teeth.
Your Child has had an Extraction of a Tooth Today - Please follow the instructions that are indicated below:
- Do not rinse the mouth for several hours.
- Do not drink any beverage containing carbonation for the remainder of the day.
- Do not drink out of a straw for the remainder of the day.
- Keep fingers and tongue away from the socket.
- Use Tylenol for any discomfort as directed for the age of the patient.
- Some bleeding following tooth extraction is to be expected. If unusual or sustained bleeding occurs, have the patient bite down firmly on a piece of gauze over the extraction site for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
Post Operative Instructions Please follow the instruction indicated below: Your child has had a local anesthetic for the required dental treatment. Children do not always understand the effects of a local anesthetic, and may chew or suck the numb lip, tongue, or cheek. Although this is not a serious thing it is an uncomfortable feeling for your child. Please watch your child closely following the appointment for the duration of the anesthetic, usually one to two hours.
- Dentistry has been done in the lower jaw. The tongue, lip, as well as the teeth and surrounding tissue will be numb and asleep for approximately 2 hours.
- Dentistry has been done in the upper jaw. The lip, teeth and surrounding tissue will be numb and asleep for approximately 2 hours.
- Keep your child on a liquid diet until the anesthetic has worn off.
- Stainless Steel Crowns: If a stainless steel crown was placed today DO NOT allow your child to eat hard, sticky, chewy candies from now on. Such as Laffy Taffy, Jolly Ranchers, Fruit Roll-Ups, Now & Later, etc. If the crown should come off, please call the office to schedule recementation.